Ever since 1998, several Hong Kong local concern groups have been organizing “ Human Rights Day”, so as to arouse public awareness of human rights affairs in Hong Kong, China and the world.
The theme of the year is “Freedom from Fear”. The event is to be held in the pedestrian area of Lockhart Road, downstairs of Causeway Bay bookstore. There are booths, public forums and human libraries to express different human rights issues.
“Freedom from Fear- Human Rights Day 2016” Carnival
Details are as follows:
Date: 10 December (Saturday), 2016
Time: 2 pm-5 pm
Location: Lockhart road, causeway bay (pedestrian area near SOGO department store)
1. Announcement of the election results of “Top Ten Human Rights News” of the year and Human Rights Day declaration
2. Booth to introduce concerned human rights issues through games and activities
3. Human Libraries : guest speakers to share their experiences
4. Human rights forum : guest speakers to share how they feel facing fear and how can others help
“Top 10 Human Rights News”
One of the activities is election of annual (January 2016- late October 2016) “Top 10 Human Rights News” that Hong Kong citizens deem most important. Online voting period commences on 4 November and ends at 23:59 3 December. The results will be announced in the carnival “Freedom from Fear- Human Rights Day 2016” which will be held on 10 December, starting 2 pm.
For any inquiries, Please contact Ms. Fung at +852 2782 6111
Organizing committee of “Human Rights Day 2016” (alphabetical order):
– Amnesty International Hong Kong
– Civil Human Rights Front
– Rainbow of Hong Kong
– Hong Kong Alliance in Support of Patriotic Democratic Movements of China
– Hong Kong Professional Teachers’ Union